[GTALUG] Group knowledge base

Michael Galea michael at galeahome.ca
Fri Oct 30 13:23:23 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-29 10:17 p.m., William Park via talk wrote:
> How do you or your company maintain group "knowledge base"?  I guess,
> wiki for internal stuffs.
>
> I'm using Words/Excel files.  A chapter (Word) or worksheet (Excel) for
> different subject or project.  You can insert screenshots, tables, etc.
> Screenshot of installation or picture of DIP switches is way simpler
> than trying to explaining it in words.  You can cut/paste from original
> documentation.
>
> But, I'm curious what others are using.

I am using two solutions.

I am using a script to 'publish' pdfs, images and native html directly
through to our internal web a la lighttpd. for odt/word the script uses
unoconv to convert odt to pdf. This solution is good for large texts
such as photography books.

I use dokuwiki for everything else.  If I have odt content, I export it
as a pdf. You can install the PDF.js dokuwiki plugin to view the pdfs
directly from within dokuwiki.

Is it just you who will maintain your knowledge base, or will you have
to walk others through it too?
--
Michael Galea