[GTALUG] Group knowledge base

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 30 23:22:16 EDT 2020

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 01:23:23PM -0400, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> I use dokuwiki for everything else.  If I have odt content, I export it as a
> pdf. You can install the PDF.js dokuwiki plugin to view the pdfs directly
> from within dokuwiki.
>
> Is it just you who will maintain your knowledge base, or will you have to
> walk others through it too?

I guess, if I'm proposing it, I'll have to maintain it.  :-)

I'm not talking about massive number of Word/Excel documents, across
multiple directories, filesystems, network shares, multiple versions,
etc.  Our projects are that way, though.  We're Microsoft shop.  For my
need, searching within single file is good enough.  Table of content
will list the chapters, sections, and subsections.

Main problem with "wiki" is the maintenance.  Someone has to maintain
webserver and database.  I barely have time to write the content.  I
mean, it's good way to learn.  But, after a while, you get tired of the
hassle.

I wish "DokuWiki" was single application, just like Wireshark, Words,
Excel, etc.  You click it, and you get its frontpage.  From there, you
write your content, you search, etc.
--
William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>