[GTALUG] I’m obviously way behind in my reading: IBM owns Redhat

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 04:21:51 EDT 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 10:26 AM James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2020-05-29 09:57 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> > Although, if you remember the Red Rocket era cars, you also probably
> > remember watching them hook together with train couplings when one
> > broke down. The push connection was commonplace. The pull connection
> > always drew a crowd, just to watch the backup manouver. That was a show.
>
> While all streetcars have a means of emergency removal, at one time they
> were often coupled together to handle the passenger load.  You could see
> those couplers on many of the PCC cars.  These couplers were capable of
> passing the control signals, so that both cars could provide traction.
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidents%27_Conference_Committee_(Toronto_streetcar)#Fleet

I remember riding on a coupled pair once or twice. Unfortunately as traffic
increased and
prolonged traffic jams became more commonplace, along with the fact that
they couldn't access
the short turn loops without being uncoupled, the coupling practice died
out. On the CLRV's
corrosion in the joining conduits also became an interface problem.

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Russell