[GTALUG] Actual ttyS0 MIA

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun May 10 21:24:16 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-10 05:57 PM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> a way to ask this question better then.
>
> On Sun, 10 May 2020, James Knott via talk wrote:
>

>> That depends on the OS.  I have a ThinkPad, with 3 USB ports. With
>> Linux, it doesn't matter which port I use, the adapter gets the same
>> port number, such as /dev/ttyUSB0, which implies it's tied to a
>> specific adapter.�
> Would that number go up,  say to USB1 to simulate com 1?  For example
> there  are dectalk USB devices, however for  the software to find the
> item  a port would need to be associated in Linux or likely in a
> virtual setting as well.

I assume it would.  However, I only have one adapter to try it with.
> � On the
>> same computer, with Windows 10, the com port number depends on which
>> USB port the adapter is plugged into.
>
> Is  that com port number determined in the Bios or by windows?  By
> which I mean is it software determined or hardware determined?

Is the BIOS still used for that sort of thing?  I got the impression
they gave up on it years ago, as it was so inadequate.

> I have never used any USB device with Freedos or
>> any other DOS.
>
> That is unfortunate.  granted I cannot speak to freedos  as my
> machines seem to be too fast for the  system.  still in  ms DOS 7.1
> the one I am using now, I have an amazing
>  DOS USB driver that was written by Panasonic.  Lets me use my
> external USB drive for backup among other things.
> Thanks for the explanation,

I have an OpenDOS 7.01 CD here, which I came across the other day, but
haven't done anything with it.  After I left IBM, 20 years ago, I had
both PC-DOS 7 and PC-DOS 2000 (Y2K version of PC-DOS 7) on floppies,
which I tossed years ago.  However, it's been many years since I did
anything with DOS.