[GTALUG] Actual ttyS0 MIA

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sun May 10 22:52:02 EDT 2020

Hi again,

On Sun, 10 May 2020, James Knott via talk wrote:

>>  item  a port would need to be associated in Linux or likely in a virtual
>>  setting as well.
>
> I assume it would.  However, I only have one adapter to try it with.
I need to  find some of those adapters USB to Serial and experiment once
I can  get mail at my office, or leave the house again.

>>  Is  that com port number determined in the Bios or by windows?  By which
>>  I mean is it software determined or hardware determined?
>
> Is the BIOS still used for that sort of thing?  I got the impression they
> gave up on it years ago, as it was so inadequate.
That is a fine  question.  My computers are built for me, interestingly
enough by a former IBM staffer who now works for amd.  I am embarrassed to
say
  that I did not ask once I started using my USB ports in DOS.
what motivated my question was my thinking, perhaps wrongly, that there
would  be a bios setting for USB hardware ports the way there is / was for
other things.

> I have an OpenDOS 7.01 CD here, which I came across the other day, but
> haven't done anything with it.  After I left IBM, 20 years ago, I had both
> PC-DOS 7 and PC-DOS 2000 (Y2K version of PC-DOS 7) on floppies, which I
> tossed years ago.  However, it's been many years since I did anything with
> DOS.
About four years back I came across project in Germany involving PC DOS
and someone else in Europe had a Dr. DOS project too.
I would personally love love love a look at that opendos 7.1 cd.
Especially  as since it is Opendos, it would be a bit more legal than what
I am running on  the system I am using to write this email grin.
Thanks again,
Kare