[GTALUG] Actual ttyS0 MIA

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Sun May 10 17:57:04 EDT 2020

Good evening,

a way to ask this question better then.

On Sun, 10 May 2020, James Knott via talk wrote:

> That depends on the OS.  I have a ThinkPad, with 3 USB ports.  With Linux,
> it doesn't matter which port I use, the adapter gets the same port number,
> such as /dev/ttyUSB0, which implies it's tied to a specific adapter.Â
Would that number go up,  say to USB1 to simulate com 1?  For example
there  are dectalk USB devices, however for  the software to find the
item  a port would need to be associated in Linux or likely in a virtual
setting as well.

  On the
> same computer, with Windows 10, the com port number depends on which USB port
> the adapter is plugged into.

Is  that com port number determined in the Bios or by windows?  By which I
mean is it software determined or hardware determined?

I have never used any USB device with Freedos or
> any other DOS.

That is unfortunate.  granted I cannot speak to freedos  as my machines
seem to be too fast for the  system.  still in  ms DOS  7.1 the one I am
using now, I have an amazing
  DOS USB driver that was written by Panasonic.  Lets me use my  external
USB drive for backup among other things.
Thanks for the explanation,
Kare