[GTALUG] Actual ttyS0 MIA

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun May 10 17:41:33 EDT 2020

On 2020-05-10 05:30 PM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> May I ask a side question here?
> On a couple of other lists to which I belong, one of which involves
> the development of the freedos project, there were questions about how
> a USB to serial  adapter manages the communications  associated, by
> which a mean port definitions that a serial port used to use.
> If one  is trying to access a device connected with a USB to serial
> adapter,  what port does  USB use?
> for example if the program would talk to a serial device on com 4, how
> would you  achieve the same  goal  via a USB to serial adapter?
> thanks,
> Kare

That depends on the OS.  I have a ThinkPad, with 3 USB ports.  With
Linux, it doesn't matter which port I use, the adapter gets the same
port number, such as /dev/ttyUSB0, which implies it's tied to a specific
adapter.  On the same computer, with Windows 10, the com port number
depends on which USB port the adapter is plugged into. I have never used
any USB device with FreeDOS or any other DOS.