[GTALUG] Ubuntu update 19.10 -> 20.04?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun May 3 07:13:20 EDT 2020

I recently did a similar upgrade. (Kubuntu, but same rules).

You can only upgrade to 20.04 directly from either 18.04 LTS or 19.10, so
first you have to get to one of those depending on whether you're on the
LTS path or not. Also make sure that those are at their most current before
upgrading using *apt-get update* and *apt-get upgrade*, and you have to
reboot if your update involved the kernel or libc.

Remove old kernels with *apt --purge autoremove*

Make sure that 'update-manager-core' is  installed and current.

If the above is done then *do-release-upgrade* should do it

A more detailed version of the process is at
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/upgrade-ubuntu-18-04-to-20-04-lts-using-command-line/
... I followed it and my upgrade went painlessly.

- Evan

On Sat, 2 May 2020 at 14:57, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | From: Tom Low-Shang via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | I don't use Ubuntu but a quick search indicates that
> |
> | sudo apt-get update
> | sudo apt-get upgrade
> |
> | and a reboot are necessary before running do-release-upgrade.
> |
> | Have you done those steps?
>
> Yes, I had done this.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>

> | From: Stefan Kloppenborg via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> |
> | My understanding is that Canonical maintains two branches of releases.
> | The even numbers are the LTS releases, the odd are the other ones (I'm
> | not sure what they call them). When you're on a LTS version,
> | do-release-upgrade will by default only look for a newer LTS versions.
> | Similarly, when you're on an odd version, do-release-upgrade will only
> | look for another odd numbered version. You can override this behavior,
> | though. I recall seeing some instructions for doing this through the GUI
> | in the 20.04 release announcement a few weeks ago.
>
> Years ago, the even year . 04 versions seemed to only be blessed as
> "LTS" after a few months.  So version upgrades would not happen until
> then.
>
> All releases were considered 6-month releases.  As they were.
>
> Maybe that changed at some point.  I cannot find any specific name for
> the non-LTS releases.  Surely the term, if there were one, would show up
> in release notes.
>
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EoanErmine/ReleaseNotes>
>
> | A quick internet search seems to indicate that to upgrade from 19.10 to
> | 20.04, you can run `update-manager -d`. The man pages indicate that
> | `do-release-upgrade` has the same flag.
>
> Probably -d is the thing.  But the documentation for both commands says:
>
>        -d, --devel-release
>               Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible
>
> I'm pretty sure that I don't want to upgrade to the lastest devel release.
>
> There's also a -c for the update manager that seems relevant.  It isn't
> available with do-release-upgrade, probably because it is implied:
>
>        -c, --check-dist-upgrades
>               Check if a new distribution release is available

> Unsubscribe from this mailing list

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56