[GTALUG] Ubuntu update 19.10 -> 20.04?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat May 2 14:57:05 EDT 2020

| From: Tom Low-Shang via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I don't use Ubuntu but a quick search indicates that
|
| sudo apt-get update
| sudo apt-get upgrade
|
| and a reboot are necessary before running do-release-upgrade.
|
| Have you done those steps?

Yes, I had done this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

| From: Stefan Kloppenborg via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
|
| My understanding is that Canonical maintains two branches of releases.
| The even numbers are the LTS releases, the odd are the other ones (I'm
| not sure what they call them). When you're on a LTS version,
| do-release-upgrade will by default only look for a newer LTS versions.
| Similarly, when you're on an odd version, do-release-upgrade will only
| look for another odd numbered version. You can override this behavior,
| though. I recall seeing some instructions for doing this through the GUI
| in the 20.04 release announcement a few weeks ago.

Years ago, the even year . 04 versions seemed to only be blessed as
"LTS" after a few months.  So version upgrades would not happen until
then.

All releases were considered 6-month releases.  As they were.

Maybe that changed at some point.  I cannot find any specific name for
the non-LTS releases.  Surely the term, if there were one, would show up
in release notes.

<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EoanErmine/ReleaseNotes>

| A quick internet search seems to indicate that to upgrade from 19.10 to
| 20.04, you can run `update-manager -d`. The man pages indicate that
| `do-release-upgrade` has the same flag.

Probably -d is the thing.  But the documentation for both commands says:

       -d, --devel-release
              Check if upgrading to the latest devel release is possible

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to upgrade to the lastest devel release.

There's also a -c for the update manager that seems relevant.  It isn't
available with do-release-upgrade, probably because it is implied:

       -c, --check-dist-upgrades
              Check if a new distribution release is available