[GTALUG] btrfs weirdity.

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:13:37 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Dev Guy via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I don't like btrfs, this seems to be the default fs for the boot
> partition with openSUSE Tumbleweed and I think on 2 occasions it got
> messed up so bad that I stop using it.
>
> Anything is better than btrfs, even fat32 which I ended up using for the
> boot partition! Been running solid with no issues upgrade after rolling
> upgrades.

People love talking smack about btrfs. Here's some real insight from Josef
Bacik though at
https://lwn.net/ml/fedora-devel/03fbbb9a-7e74-fc49-c663-32722d6f75a2@toxicpanda.com/
and
https://lwn.net/ml/fedora-devel/cf5b4944-74c4-b4a4-0d65-71d9821a4a71@toxicpanda.com/.
Read through the chain. For those who don't know him, Josef is a core btrfs
developer. I also quite like Josef personally, he is a good developer,
great to work with and is personally invested in helping folks out.

This is a solid fs, there are times when I see the reactions from users and
I really wonder why I do open source work anyway. I have lost data on all
sorts of filesystems, and I have also been at the end of stupid mistakes
made. Almost everything is recoverable if you stop, and ask for help and
keep your ego out of it.

Dhaval