[GTALUG] btrfs weirdity.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Jun 29 22:12:43 EDT 2020

On 6/29/20 6:13 PM, Dhaval Giani via talk wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM Dev Guy via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>
>     I don't like btrfs, this seems to be the default fs for the boot
>     partition with openSUSE Tumbleweed and I think on 2 occasions it got
>     messed up so bad that I stop using it.
>
>     Anything is better than btrfs, even fat32 which I ended up using
>     for the
>     boot partition! Been running solid with no issues upgrade after
>     rolling
>     upgrades.
>

> People love talking smack about btrfs. Here's some real insight from
> Josef Bacik though at
> https://lwn.net/ml/fedora-devel/03fbbb9a-7e74-fc49-c663-32722d6f75a2@toxicpanda.com/
> and
> https://lwn.net/ml/fedora-devel/cf5b4944-74c4-b4a4-0d65-71d9821a4a71@toxicpanda.com/.
> Read through the chain. For those who don't know him, Josef is a core
> btrfs developer. I also quite like Josef personally, he is a good
> developer, great to work with and is personally invested in helping
> folks out.
>
> This is a solid fs, there are times when I see the reactions from
> users and I really wonder why I do open source work anyway. I have
> lost data on all sorts of filesystems, and I have also been at the end
> of stupid mistakes made. Almost everything is recoverable if you stop,
> and ask for help and keep your ego out of it.

I have used a number of file systems over the years.
from ext in the pre-1.0 kernels through Reiser and XFS.

And I have had problems of one form or another in all of them but none
managed to blow away all the data that was less than 3 months old after
a power failure.

fortunately the several hundred files were not critical.

Before this my take on the various BTRFS complaints were that people
were likely using corner case features.

But having my data scrubbed without a hardware failure is just down
right confidence destroying.
If I cannot replace the functionality of ext without having data
corrupted then I am not going to use any of the other wonderful features
of BTRFS.

Not sure how you would define it but my take is that bulk data loss with
no indication of errors is the opposite of solid.

just my $0.02

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||