[GTALUG] web hosting question

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 09:07:14 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 06:17:08 -0500
> o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > As part of my 'I don't really know enough' understanding was the
> > asking  here of what hopefully wasn't a trivial question.
> >
> > Thanking all the respondents muchly!
>
> your question is a very valuable question and answers depends greatly
> on many things including POV :)
>
> for small web hosting look for the very best value proposition, the
> point at which your buck has the most bang, but there are also many
> other important factors...

The first round I chose service based on economics - - - - this round
I'm trying to avoid the 'service' issues that the first choice exposed.

> How ethical is your "supplier" - check their IP network range(s) here:
> http://multirbl.valli.org/
> -- how many of their IP numbers have how many listings?

Went to the proffered url - - - - - I don't think I even begin to
understand
what is displayed when I type in the url of the hosting company that
I'm considering - - - - suggestions for a 'user guide' or 'what the sam
snot' that means kind of thing?

> Reliability and real/working 24/7 support (actually do check
> references hosting is sometimes like insurance - you only find out
> really how good it is when you really do need it...)

It seems when looking for shared hosting that references are sorta
thin on the ground - - - :-(  .

> Then, if web hosting is in 'shared' (as in non dedicated) hardware
> resources - a whole different universe of questions become relevant
> and the answers are often literally in quicksand.

Please - - - - suggestions for questions would be appreciated!!

> and, yes, I also think it is a good idea ever to have a registrar on one
> network and services (web/email/etc) elsewhere
>
> Finding reputable providers of 'all' the parts is not being at all
straightforward.

> hth
>
> You have helped to open 'Pandora's box' a little more (chuckling!).
So thank you!!!!