[GTALUG] web hosting question

ac ac at main.me
Thu Jul 30 12:29:20 EDT 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 08:07:14 -0500
o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 06:17:08 -0500
> > o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > As part of my 'I don't really know enough' understanding was the
> > > asking  here of what hopefully wasn't a trivial question.
> > > Thanking all the respondents muchly!
> > your question is a very valuable question and answers depends
> > greatly on many things including POV :)
> > for small web hosting look for the very best value proposition, the
> > point at which your buck has the most bang, but there are also many
> > other important factors...
> The first round I chose service based on economics - - - - this round
> I'm trying to avoid the 'service' issues that the first choice
> exposed.
> > How ethical is your "supplier" - check their IP network range(s)
> > here: http://multirbl.valli.org/
> > -- how many of their IP numbers have how many listings?
> Went to the proffered url - - - - - I don't think I even begin to
> understand what is displayed when I type in the url of the hosting
> company that I'm considering - - - - suggestions for a 'user guide'
> or 'what the sam snot' that means kind of thing?

In any email you receive from the potential 'hosting business' look for
the IP numbers in the email headers... Does the 'provider' operate
their own email server(s) or @outlook or @gmail

> > Reliability and real/working 24/7 support (actually do check
> > references hosting is sometimes like insurance - you only find out
> > really how good it is when you really do need it...)
> It seems when looking for shared hosting that references are sorta
> thin on the ground - - - :-(  .

just ask the potential supplier for three references :)

> > Then, if web hosting is in 'shared' (as in non dedicated) hardware
> > resources - a whole different universe of questions become relevant
> > and the answers are often literally in quicksand.
> Please - - - - suggestions for questions would be appreciated!!

There are literally hundreds of reliable shared hosting providers,
other than the usual a2 or ovi etc.

> > and, yes, I also think it is a good idea ever to have a registrar
> > on one network and services (web/email/etc) elsewhere
> > Finding reputable providers of 'all' the parts is not being at all
> straightforward.

hmmm, we should write a step by step guide on howto find a reliable
small hosting company :)

> > hth
> > You have helped to open 'Pandora's box' a little more (chuckling!).
> So thank you!!!!

oooh, just when they said not to open those nice packets of seeds sent
from China... now there are boxes of pandora's...
luckily for us Pandoras box is fiction, like that preacher doc, with
the demon sperm and the myriads of nephilim all around us waiting to
pounce (as the Noah flood apparently did not "take out the nephilim" )

*sigh*