[GTALUG] New Build Computer?

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:03:15 EDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020, 9:06 PM Peter King via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Well, no joy in Mudville.
>
> I disabled Secure Boot by deleted the PK key, which did indeed result in
> the motherboard BIOS recognizing that Secure Boot was disabled.  And, it
> recognizes the NVMe drive as the boot device, indeed the only boot device,
> which is good.
>
> But ... despite all that, it still does not boot.  I tried it with CSM on
> and CSM off, still no boot.  Efibootmgr this time *did* list the NVMe drive
> as an EFI option (after the USB flash drive), but still no boot.  Tried it
> with various options enabled and disabled, still no joy.

I don't use Arch myself but the various GPT or MBR and Hybrid schemes are
covered, along with issues, notes and warnings here.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_boot_process

> Damned if I can figure it out.  I feel like I'm getting closer ... but no
> way forward seems obvious.  Any ideas?  Any reason to think that another
> motherboard might be less difficult to get up and running?

I don't think so. You are making progress. It might be that the bootloader
can't actually access /boot or because of some confusion in addressing the
partition table format.

HTH

Russell