[GTALUG] New Build Computer?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 28 09:56:28 EDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 09:05:58PM -0400, Peter King via talk wrote:
> Well, no joy in Mudville.
>
> I disabled Secure Boot by deleted the PK key, which did indeed result in
> the motherboard BIOS recognizing that Secure Boot was disabled.  And, it
> recognizes the NVMe drive as the boot device, indeed the only boot device,
> which is good.
>
> But ... despite all that, it still does not boot.  I tried it with CSM on
> and CSM off, still no boot.  Efibootmgr this time *did* list the NVMe drive
> as an EFI option (after the USB flash drive), but still no boot.  Tried it
> with various options enabled and disabled, still no joy.
>
> Damned if I can figure it out.  I feel like I'm getting closer ... but no
> way forward seems obvious.  Any ideas?  Any reason to think that another
> motherboard might be less difficult to get up and running?

Is the nvme using GPT partitions and a UEFI boot loader?

Often UEFI boot required adding an entry to the nvram unless it happens
to use one of the default filenames for the boot loader.

You could go to the UEFI shell and try to manually boot grub and then
reinstall the boot loader after booting to linux.

Usually something like:

blk1:
cd \EFI
dir (find where grub is)
cd ubuntu (or debian or arch or whatever it named it)
grubx64.efi

Once booted efibootmgr or some other tool should let you reinstalle the
boot entry in nvram.

The default that it looks for I believe is \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI but
most linux distributions don't use that name as far as I know.

--
Len Sorensen