[GTALUG] recent Fedora releases refused to see an old NAS

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jul 10 13:52:06 EDT 2020

| From: Val Kulkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

|  Setting "client min protocol = NT1" is indeed a bad, bad idea from the
| security standpoint.
|
| Check out this article:
| https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/how-to-kill-off-smb1-netbios-wins-and-still-have-windows-network-neighbourhood-better-than-ever.106/
| The approach described in this article worked to fix the same or very
| similar problem in my case, and it might help you with your problem too.

Thanks.  It sheds some light on the mess.  Or stack of messes.

It's written from a Windows standpoint and I've never had a Windows
standpoint.

The problematic devices are cheap cosumer NAS boxes.  They run Linux
but they are designed to fit into a Windows world.  They are old and
run old "firmware".  The way to change them is to throw them out, but
we don't tend to throw anything out here.  We still have our first
computer (an Altair), even if we don't actually use it.

Discovery isn't much of a problem here.  Every service is on a static
IP address with a proper DNS entry.  (Even so, network printing is
another black box that just works unless it doesn't.  I think mDNS is
being used.)