[GTALUG] recent Fedora releases refused to see an old NAS

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:24:37 EDT 2020

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 11:40, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> We have an old IOmega Home Media Server, Cloud Edition NAS.
>
> It's just a single external 3.5" HDD with a little ARM board to turn it
> into a NAS.  This is so old that the company has changed a few times:
>         EMC bought IOmega
>         Dell bought EMC
>         Lenovo bought (parts of?) EMC from Dell
> Perhaps I've missed some steps.
>
> Since I updated our desktops Fedora 31, Nautilus (AKA "Files") on the
> Gnome desktop could not see it.
>
> To fix this took a bit of discovery.  Eventually I added a line to
> /etc/samba/smb.conf.  In the [global] section:
>
>         client min protocol = NT1
>
> This isn't a great thing from a security standpoint but it's no worse
> than before the Fedora update.
>
> This is surely obvious to any experienced Samba user, but I'm not one.
> My only use of Samba is to access our NASes throuh Nautilus.

 Setting "client min protocol = NT1" is indeed a bad, bad idea from the
security standpoint.

Check out this article:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/how-to-kill-off-smb1-netbios-wins-and-still-have-windows-network-neighbourhood-better-than-ever.106/
The approach described in this article worked to fix the same or very
similar problem in my case, and it might help you with your problem too.