[GTALUG] recent Fedora releases refused to see an old NAS

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Jul 10 11:39:56 EDT 2020

We have an old IOmega Home Media Server, Cloud Edition NAS.

It's just a single external 3.5" HDD with a little ARM board to turn it
into a NAS.  This is so old that the company has changed a few times:
	EMC bought IOmega
	Dell bought EMC
	Lenovo bought (parts of?) EMC from Dell
Perhaps I've missed some steps.

Since I updated our desktops Fedora 31, Nautilus (AKA "Files") on the
Gnome desktop could not see it.

To fix this took a bit of discovery.  Eventually I added a line to
/etc/samba/smb.conf.  In the [global] section:

	client min protocol = NT1

This isn't a great thing from a security standpoint but it's no worse
than before the Fedora update.

This is surely obvious to any experienced Samba user, but I'm not one.
My only use of Samba is to access our NASes throuh Nautilus.