[GTALUG] Editing Browser Text boxes in external editors.

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Thu Jul 2 09:56:19 EDT 2020

Just sharing my experience post.

So, my father used to do this with an extension call It's All Text. It
didn't make the jump to web extensions and security model now requires
an external helper application.

Drew and I have come to very different conclusions about the solutions.

Style #1 - Update on Write

This style is where the text is sent out to the editor of choice, and
isn't written back into the text box until you save/write out the file.

* Works with any editor generically through tempfiles
* Allows multiple text boxes to be worked in independently

Example:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/external-editor/

Style #2 - Live Sync

This style actively updates the editor window and the browser textbox
with the current working text.

* Requires more setup with per editor plugins.
* No tempfiles, everything is in the browser context.
* Switching browser tabs updates the editor to the current text box your
working on. Friendly if have a single VIM session open in A single terminal

Example:
https://github.com/GhostText/GhostText

I've tested this one with the following plugin, installed via the vundle
plugin system,
https://github.com/pandysong/ghost-text.vim
https://github.com/VundleVim/Vundle.vim#quick-start

I'm curious:
Have you used this before?
Do you still use this?
What Styles have you used?
What were your personal pros and cons for each style?

--
Scott Sullivan