[GTALUG] btrfs weirdity.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Jul 2 09:28:58 EDT 2020

Red Hat stopped supporting BTRFS.  It's not in RHEL 8.

Why?  The best "guesses" that I've seen are in
 <https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3138231>

	To paraphrase the upstream opinion, btrfs has been "almost
	production ready" for many years now, but never quite got to
	the stage where it actually was ready.

	In the meantime, many of the features that btrfs provides are
	now available via other more mature and stable storage
	technologies like ext4, XFS, LVM, etc. We've put considerable
	effort into improving these technologies to the point where
	current Red Hat offerings already cover almost the entire
	btrfs feature set.

Red Hat acquired Stratis and their (open source) sofware handles most of
what BTRFS does. Using layers (eg. LVM).

On the other hand, it looks like the Fedora Poject is considering making
BTRFS the default filesystem in Fedora 33.
 <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault>

I added a question to that page related to RHEL's dropping of BTRFS but it
was deleted because the Fedora change proponent was unable to speak for
Red Hat.