[GTALUG] Generic SSH question.

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Aug 31 15:58:15 EDT 2020

On 8/31/20 3:24 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> |
> | Does anybody know of a software package or service that does for SSH the kind
> | of thing that teamviewer does?
> |
> | I run into linux systems that are behind firewalls  and trying to bounce
> | through some windows box using teamviewer or other screen sharing app is
> | getting real old.
Teamviewer is a screen sharing service where the screen sharing is
handled through a middleman.
I start teamviewer and give someone a token so that they can access my
screen.
It works behind masqueraded firewalls.

> I don't know what teamviewer does.  Can you explain?  Particularly in
> the scenario you are talking about.
In this case someone wants me to connect to teamviewer so that I can
access their screen on a windows desktop.
Where I can use putty or some other terminal client to access the linux
server.

> Windows boxes now have ssh.  And they can have a large chunk of
> certain Linux distros.  But they do ssh natively out-of-the-box.
True but windows users like to pay for GUI services.

> I've only use ssh as a client on Window with Windows.  But surely
> Windows has an ssh server too (what would the shell be? PowerSell?
> cmd.exe?).
I believe that Windows also has a powershell service that is like SSH.
But still this requires some kind of port forward to get through the
firewall.

> Why would you bounce through a Windows box?  Surely Windows is a bad
> choice for a gateway.  Lots of people think Windows boxes are fine:
Its not my choice.
I would rather poke myself in the eye than have to deal with a windows
server.
But I like to eat and that means I need to do what the paying customers
want.

> 1) on a desktop (not me)
>
> 2) on a server for services that are designed to run on Windows.
>
> But not a gateway/router.

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||