[GTALUG] Generic SSH question.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Aug 31 15:24:28 EDT 2020

| From: Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
|
| Does anybody know of a software package or service that does for SSH the kind
| of thing that teamviewer does?
|
| I run into linux systems that are behind firewalls  and trying to bounce
| through some windows box using teamviewer or other screen sharing app is
| getting real old.

I don't know what teamviewer does.  Can you explain?  Particularly in
the scenario you are talking about.

Windows boxes now have ssh.  And they can have a large chunk of
certain Linux distros.  But they do ssh natively out-of-the-box.

I've only use ssh as a client on Window with Windows.  But surely
Windows has an ssh server too (what would the shell be? PowerSell?
cmd.exe?).

Why would you bounce through a Windows box?  Surely Windows is a bad
choice for a gateway.  Lots of people think Windows boxes are fine:

1) on a desktop (not me)

2) on a server for services that are designed to run on Windows.

But not a gateway/router.