[GTALUG] C.H.I.P. rides again - maybe

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 9 18:01:05 EDT 2020

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Something I'm discovering about mine: NextThingCo did a terrible job of
| managing the flash memory allocation, so running the device for any amount of
| time will get you warnings and errors such as:
|
|    ubi0: fixable bit-flip detected at PEB 142
|    ubi0: scrubbed PEB 142, data moved to PEB 1796
|    ubi0 warning: ubi_eba_atomic_leb_change: LEB 0:1 changed from full to
| partially-written state!
|    ubi0 warning: ubi_eba_atomic_leb_change: LEB 0:2 changed from full to
| partially-written state!

>From <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBIFS>

"UBIFS is a flash file system for unmanaged flash memory devices. UBIFS
works on top of a UBI layer, which is itself on top of a memory technology
device layer."

Wow.  They didn't use an eMMC memory, just raw flash?

That takes guts.

Would this bug not be in the Linux kernel rather than due to something
added by NextThingCo?

Is it possible to build and install a new kernel to fix this?