[GTALUG] Laptop recommendations?

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Mon Apr 27 06:51:01 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-26 11:13 PM, Mauro Souza via talk wrote:
> If she wants a new HP, I bet she will later need another HP...
>
> As Hugh said, I only have Thinkpad on a different category. I had more
> than a couple company issued laptops from a variety of brands (HP,
> Dell, Acer, Itautec) and every single one was replaced because of
> hardware issues, some under warranty, some not. Until I got a ThinkPad
> and I refused to get a newer, faster, shinier non thinkpad... One of
> my current laptops (I have 2) is a T430 from '12, but I don't trade it
> for a new HP or Dell...

I agree.  I have had 2 ThinkPads of my own, currently an E520 and they
both worked fine.  The only reason I gave away my old one was I bought
my current one, with a 16 x 9 screen and better WiFi.  Other than the
battery going, I've never had any issue with them.  I also used to work
at IBM, doing 3rd level software support and most of my work there was
on ThinkPads and I never saw  one fail.  On the other hand, i had a Dell
at one place I worked at it would lock up with a kaleidoscope of colours
on the screen.  I have seen other failures with other makes too.  In my
experience, the ThinkPads have been rock solid.