[GTALUG] tilde.club reopens signups (vaguely off-topic)

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 08:50:59 EDT 2019

Hey —

Aligned with the small scale, homebrew hosting that I know that some of
you were/are involved in, I see that tilde.club <https://tilde.club/>
has reopened its member lists: https://tilde.club/signup/

tilde.club is small web hosting with ssh access. You only get a
(comparatively) tiny amount of space. It's named from earlyweb days,
when user pages were at hostname/~user. They've been stalled for new
members for 4 years as the organizer couldn't quite give it the
attention it needed. Announcement from the bird site:

    A tildeverse-builder named Mike Buchholz (info at retrodigital.net)
    offered to take over http://tilde.club <http://tilde.club> AND the
    backlog of 10,000+ people who asked for accounts. I said, that would
    be a blessing! If you had an account, it still works. If you asked,
    they'll be in touch.

    — Paul Ford (@ftrain)
    9:21 AM - 13 Sep 2019
    https://twitter.com/ftrain/status/1172545886968324098

I always meant to set up a tilde node (I think I still have the domain
and hosting, even) but tildeverse admin requires a certain attachment to
IRC and that's someone else's trash fire.

cheers,

  Stewart