[GTALUG] "Atom Pi"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Sep 16 12:30:03 EDT 2019

This is an inexpensive Atom-based Single-Board Computer (SBC).  It
created a flurry on Amazon a few months ago and then seemed to go out
of stock.  I just assumed that it was some surplus board that was
being blown out.  Maybe it is.

Now it is being sold by AmeriDroid, a distributor/vendor of several
interesting single-board computers.  Cheap!

https://ameridroid.com/products/atomic-pi

Why I think that this is interesting:

- SBC is an interesting form factor

- cheap: US$37.95 for board + US$12.95 for power + ? for shipping.
  That's cheaper than a Raspberry Pi 4b with 4GiB.

- x86 so any off-the-shelf distro should work.  And the video driver
  is in-tree open source (a big missing piece with ARM).
  It would run Windows 10 but has no licence.

- OK resources:
  + Intel Atom x5-Z8350 (hence name)
  + 2G RAM (not expandable)
  + 16G eMMC (preloaded with some Linux) (should perform better than
    Raspi's SD)
  + SD socket (supports up to 256G)
  + gigabit ethernet, dual band WiFi, Bluetooth
  + some kind of potentially interesting audio amplifier
  + HDMI
  + USB 3.0 port
  + fanless, with a big heat sink

- oddities
  + need to add a weird power supply connector and a power supply
  + need to add WiFi antennae
  + no case
  + I don't really understand the choice of power supplies offered by
    AmeriDroid.  The cheaper one has higher output (possibly useful
    in support of the audio amp).

Why I won't buy it:

- I have too many small PCs already.  And too many unfinished
  projects.

- 2GiB is a little cramped these days.  First-world problem!
  But it is certainly fine for most SBC applications.

I recommend browsing Ameridroid.com for other interesting toys.