[GTALUG] anyone here build pro computer workstations?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Sep 18 15:12:09 EDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 03:14:51PM -0400, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> It does indeed.
> One  tends to have extra tools, control surfaces,   audio interfaces etc.
> etc. that are connected to the computer, running at the same time.  Add the
> need for fan and machine silence, multiple  real and virtual drives and the
> entire
>  construction can be quite layered. One also invests for the long term. He
> last updated  his studio in 2007.

Sounds very neat.

I have certainly built machines for a number of friends and relatives
over the years, and think it is great fun.  Doesn't happen much anymore
given most people are using laptops these days.  I think my newest machine
of my own is 6 years old at this point (I am sure someone will make a
comment about it having been overkill at the time being the reason for
that).  Too bad I don't know much at all about audio editing equipment
(although it looks neat), and my wife would likely think I have plenty
of other things that I need to get done.  I could give some suggestions
for components to pick though if that would be any help.  I did build a
machine for a friend about 3 years ago that requested quiet.  Pretty sure
we succeeded.  I have to double check visually that it was turned on
when I fired it up the first time because I heard nothing, even though
it had a couple of fans and spinning hard disks in it.  A quality case
and water cooling can apparently pull that off.

--
Len Sorensen