[GTALUG] Benchtop power supply

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Oct 30 11:13:03 EDT 2019

Remember that a *lot* of Amazon Marketplace kit that plugs into the mains
is not safety-certified (which means it's illegal to sell here and it's
illegal to use; Amazon washes their hands of responsibility for anything
"sold" by a third-party through their marketplace, though product actually
"sold by Amazon" is certified).

Some of it is absolutely fine and the vendor just hasn't spent the money
for a safety certification, but I've found many, many devices that could
never pass a safety cert and should never go near mains power.

Obviously anyone purchasing a benchtop power supply generally has the skill
to assess the safety of their own kit, but unless you take the box apart
and check the internals, I wouldn't have confidence in (e.g.) the mains
isolation of many of these uncertified supplies.

-Chris

(the marketplace vendor ads are amusing in this regard -- the ad for one of
the benchtop supplies on amazon.ca assures you that it's completely safe
because it has a fuse (!), and another advertises that the *detachable
cord* is UL-certified :-/   CE/RoHS/FCC is also often promoted as safety
certification but of course it's nothing of the sort)