[GTALUG] Problem with /dev/ttyUSB* serial port

Jim Ruxton jim.ruxton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 02:25:24 EDT 2019

I have a device plugged into an active USB extender that usually shows
up as /dev/ttyUSB0 when I first plug it in (occasionally it will show up
as /dev/ttyUSB1 when first plugging it in) . If it is /dev/ttyUSB0 when
I unplug it and plug it back in it occasionally changes to /dev/ttyUSB1
. Is there a way that I can always have it show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 . I'm
not sure why /dev/ttyUSB0 isn't being released and restarted after
unplugging and replugging it. If I look in /dev it does disappear as
/dev/ttyUSB0 from there when I unplug it but like I said it reappears as
/dev/ttyUSB1? I am on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS .

Thanks for any pointers.

Jim