[GTALUG] Benchtop power supply

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:49:50 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-30 2:07 a.m., William Park via talk wrote:

> Question:
> - What brand do you recommend?

The Rigol DP700s are nice, but maybe a bit more pricey than you'd want
at US $300. Rigol kit is often re-badged by much more expensive resellers.

Personally, I have an Atten APS3005S because it's what A-1 had in stock.
It works, it's a little noisy, it doesn't seem to do the dreaded
30V-on-power-up that some cheap benchtops are notorious for. It was
under $200. It's accurate and stable enough for my simple needs.

My only real complaint - and I suspect that this is my brain more than
anything else - is that the the coarse/fine adjust dials are exactly the
wrong way round for me. I've not yet fried anything, but usually grab
fine when I'm looking for coarse.

> - Amazon.ca recommends "Sky Toppower" brand.  Anyone have experience
>    with these?

This looks super generic. At least it's not from a "5-8 random letters,
vaguely pronounceable" Amazon supplier. It's a good price if it does
what you need it to do.

While people often recommend secondhand kit like old HPs here, they tend
to be:

1) huge and heavy;

2) if cheap, possibly old enough to require replacement power
capacitors. Even a small PSU has a _lot_ of magic smoke to let out, as
we found from Elmwood's security footage when the Apple IIe decide to
get smokey on us;

3) if old, maybe have analogue dials which are far less fun now my
eyesight is progressively downgrading.

Whatever you get, you won't get enough (or the right kind) of DC cables
for what you need.

cheers,
  Stewart