[GTALUG] alternatives to gmail working well in Ubintu?

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Fri Nov 15 12:48:04 EST 2019

Hi, in context

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019, Dhaval Giani wrote:

> I am sorry, I don't have a suggestion for you. However, I did a  quick
> search and couldnt find mention about Google blocking third party
> screen readers. Do you have a link? I was not aware of it, and this is
> certainly the wrong direction for accessibility and probably needs to
> be spread about.
I   have requested solid  confirmation from Google accessibility, as
frankly it is disturbing on several levels.
Still, what i have learnd so far is that come January, Google will block
access to their products  for anything other than  their own tools,
something called voice box for example  including with the use of chrome.
For example Jaws, which is a popular windows screen reader will be
blocked.

> Beyond that, I am trying to understand your requirements, to make an
> informed suggestion. Why is basic html getting hard to read? Does it
> have something to do with the layout, or is it something deeper?
Deeper actually.
First google largely blocked the use of browsers  that  are low graphics,
even those like links and elinks which are open source browsers that can be
compiled with a form of JavaScript.
Google stated in a press statement circle  October 2018, that since only
crooks turn off JavaScript,  they were justified in requiring  only
JavaScript, as they define it, to sign into  a google account.
For example if you have an account and try visiting
mail.google.com/mail
In  say lynx if you have a copy, you will get the error.
Now, I have  more than one gmail account, the one with which I am having
trouble though Is for me to use in more than one  place.  for example if I
am doing research at the Toronto public library, those working with me
send results there, I process files from other sources there as well.
I got to  the basic html edition of gmail for this account however via a
bookmark set in my home machine setting for Lynx.
About three weeks ago, google shut down that door too, likely because I
had not set html as the default, again so I could use the account when
working with others.
the result is that I cannot sign into this account at all, using any of the
combination of low graphics tools I  can access.
Google is now blocking any browser, even with JavaScript, that they
consider not what they will support so to speak.
Does that make more sense?

I will share when I have more information about the third party screen
reader block.
Thanks,
Karen