[GTALUG] alternatives to gmail working well in Ubintu?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Nov 15 11:46:49 EST 2019

Hi Karen,

I haven't done this in a while from a desktop, but the access from
Thunderbird etc to Gmail is not done through screen readers but rather the
venerable IMAP protocol which is supported.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en
This is most commonly used by mobile, where there are a number of email
interfaces that people may prefer to Gmail's front end. Even Outlook for
Android supports this.

>From a low-graphics PoV I have to go back to my brain's archives, but there
are still readers out there that don't require a GUI. My old favourite
"Pine" is no longer under development but its successor and a few others
are.
https://fedoramagazine.org/3-cool-text-based-email-clients/

HTH,

- Evan

On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 11:25, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> sorry James, i did not realize you were using adaptive technology.
> May I ask how you will manage once Google, as they plan, block all third
> party  screen readers?
> Sorry if I seem frustrated, but I asked a very specific question, not to
> have   my choices dismissed because you do things differently.
>

> On Thu, 14 Nov 2019, James Knott via talk wrote:
>
> > On 2019-11-14 10:00 PM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> >>  I was going to just ask for alternatives to consider, but want to keep
> the
> >>  Linux element here as I mainly use a Ubuntu shell.
> >>  Now that google is making it  profoundly difficult reaching basic html
> in
> >>  low graphics environments, I may need a new home.  I prefer reading on
> >>  the web for this account, especially as I use it largely for research
> >>  needing to follow article links and work with file attachments.
> >>  Any solid ideas?
> >
> > I prefer using an email client such as Seamonkey or Thunderbird, to a
> > browser.  They work fine.
> >
> > ---
> > Post to this mailing list talk at gtalug.org
> > Unsubscribe from this mailing list