[GTALUG] Microsoft open sources Windows Calculator

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun Mar 17 12:47:10 EDT 2019

On 03/17/2019 12:32 PM, Anthony de Boer via talk wrote:
> We also had some Decwriter IVs way back then, and a genuine ASR33 with
> the ^G bell being an actual bell with an electromagnetic hammer, and some
> early glass TTYs at least one of which dated back to before the ASCII
> standard was finalized, so it had a left-arrow character in place of the
> underscore.

We also had several DEC terminals, both "glass TTY" and mechanical.  I
started my career overhauling Teletypes, so I can say with certainty
that the bell on the M33 was entirely mechanical.  There was a pawl that
was triggered, when the appropriate code appeared on the code bars.  Of
course, the code bar that tripped the pawl could be configured for the
appropriate character as used for the bell.  On the similar 5 bit
"Baudot" M32, the bell could be either Figs-J or Figs-F  It's been
*MANY* years since I've given much thought to the mechanical operation
of Teletype machines.  ;)

Figs = Figures Shift, a function necessary with the 5 bit code to handle
both alphabet and numbers/punctuation.