[GTALUG] Microsoft open sources Windows Calculator

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 16:46:04 EDT 2019

On Sun., Mar. 17, 2019, 12:47 James Knott via talk, <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Figs = Figures Shift, a function necessary with the 5 bit code to handle
> both alphabet and numbers/punctuation.

I can confirm that Baudot is alive and (maybe not quite) well in RTTY for
amateur radio. It's one of the few digital radio modes that's amenable to
massive amplification, so 2 kW+ QRO RTTY rigs are not uncommon. Listen in
around 14.1 MHz and you'll hear RTTY contests bleating away every weekend.
Still around 45 baud, too. Fldigi on Linux can encode and decode it.

If we are allowed to talk about editors of old we liked, Maxam - a Z80
assembler for the Amstrad CPC that came on a 16 K EPROM - had a great text
editor. So many people bought the assembler just for the editor that the
editor grew into a word-processor, Protext. Starting out as an EPROM like
Maxam, Protext eventually appeared on CP/M, Atari ST, Amiga and MS-DOS. The
publisher's long gone but some dedicated folks still run it in DOSBox.
Aside from a few codepage tweaks, its files still export via RTF very well.

Cheers
 Stewart