[GTALUG] Microsoft open sources Windows Calculator

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Sun Mar 17 12:32:43 EDT 2019

James Knott via talk wrote:
> I've only come across one editor that was worse than EDLIN.  It was the
> line editor on Pr1me computers.  We had a few of those systems at work.
> As I recall, you could only jump to the top or bottom of the file or use
> relative jumps.  You couldn't jump directly to a specific line. =-O

Ahhh yes.  That editor, on a Decwriter II, back in the olden days.
Didn't know things were supposed to be better than that, so happily
edited FORTRAN IV and PMA source with it and moved a lot of fanfold paper
to the recycling bin afterward.  Didn't find it all that lacking, for the
era, but Unix ed was a step up, and vi was amazing (at least once I got
on top of terminfo and could get it working on all the different systems
I was supporting back then).

We also had some Decwriter IVs way back then, and a genuine ASR33 with
the ^G bell being an actual bell with an electromagnetic hammer, and some
early glass TTYs at least one of which dated back to before the ASCII
standard was finalized, so it had a left-arrow character in place of the
underscore.

--
Anthony de Boer