[GTALUG] Rogers "Anyplace TV" does not support Firefox

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:34:16 EDT 2019

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 11:36, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> My guess is that the lack of support for Linux is because of the lack of
> built in DRM.
>
> Years ago we were dealing with several IPTV vendors and a common fear
> from the content owners is hackers breaking apart the streams and
> posting them to some torrent site.
> To get access to the content the IPTV providers had to provide some
> encryption to the set-top boxes.
>
> So long as the content owners have an unnatural fear of people stealing
> their content it is likely that OS's that are perceived as DRM strong
> will be supported.

I can't answer for  "Anyplace TV" specifically, but I agree that this is
probably because of DRM support.  Netflix can be made to run on Linux if
you're willing to install Chrome - it doesn't work in Firefox (my preferred
browser) or Chromium, only in Chrome (and yes, this is personal experience
on Fedora, most recently v28).  And it is because of the DRM.  So while
it's possible Rogers are limiting their support to Windows and possibly
macOS, try Chrome on Linux (if you're willing to install it).

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com