[GTALUG] Rogers "Anyplace TV" does not support Firefox

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Mar 11 11:36:47 EDT 2019

My guess is that the lack of support for Linux is because of the lack of
built in DRM.

Years ago we were dealing with several IPTV vendors and a common fear
from the content owners is hackers breaking apart the streams and
posting them to some torrent site.
To get access to the content the IPTV providers had to provide some
encryption to the set-top boxes.

So long as the content owners have an unnatural fear of people stealing
their content it is likely that OS's that are perceived as DRM strong
will be supported.

On 3/11/19 11:02 AM, Karen Lewellen via talk wrote:
> May I make a suggestion?
> If any of you are members of  the Rogers community boards, or follow
> them on twitter, please educate them about Linux.  bell has the same
> problem, or claims to have as much.
> With programs like the TPL training one introducing  people to Linux
> vastness,  Rogers must know that they  must support the platform.
> Working around what they are doing without educating them will only
> keep them vested in Windows.
> Just a thought,
> Kare
>

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019, William Porquet via talk wrote:
>
>> What about IE Tab extension to Chrome?
>>
>> W.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 AM James Knott via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
>> wrote:

>>> IIRC, it also had to Chrome on Windows.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Talk Mailing List
>>> talk at gtalug.org

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||