[GTALUG] Ontario Bill 72: "Right to Repair"

sciguy at vex.net sciguy at vex.net
Sun Mar 10 13:51:49 EDT 2019

I think that it has been made into a frinige, hippie thing because large companies like Apple have seen to it that it be pushed out of our consciousness. The only "hippie thing" we really need involves "consciousness-raising" - noticing that these things are being done, and is part of the reason that Apple had a recent valuation in the trillions of dollars a couple of months ago.

Again, don't just blame Apple. I had the same problem one time years ago when I tried to replace a rocker switch on a desk lamp I liked. The desk lamp was no longer in stock, and all the clerk wanted me to do is replace it with a new one. This was at Home Depot, of all places, and they don't have rocker switches of the size I needed. I lived in Oakville at the time, and had to drive to Burlington to find the right rocker switch to turn my lamp on and off. After fixing it, it worked nicely for another 10 years after that (structural damage to the head of the lamp did it in - I can't remember the cause). I didn't regret going to the trouble in finding the switch, but store clerks did look at me kind of funny, except for the guy in an electronics supply shop who sold me the two-dollar rocker switch.

Paul