[GTALUG] Pine Book Pro

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 4 15:51:55 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:22:20PM -0500, Alex Volkov via talk wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> It looks like Pine64 are releasing Pinebook Pro, a laptop that I'm actually
> willing to pay money for and then use.
>
> https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850
>

> Specs:
>
>  * 14" 1080p IPS LCD panel
>  * 64/128GB of eMMC storage*
>  * Black magnesium alloy body
>  * SD card slot
>  * Digital video output via USB-C up to 4K60hz
>  * Audio aux out / UART
>  * USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports
>  * 802.11ac WiFi
>  * Bluetooth 4.2
>  * 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM
>  * Charging via barrel port or USB-C
>  * Rockchip RK3399 ; big.LITTLE Hexacore A72/A53 SOC
>  * 2mpx front-facing camera
>  * Microphone
>  * Speakers
>  * Slim and slick design with minimal branding
>  * PCIe x4 that can take a m.2 NVMe SSD using an optional adapter
>  * Target Price:  $199
>
> Looking on the picture the things I like:
>
> * Regular keyboard with thick keys and minimal amount of weirdness (the
> location of 'Delete' button is questionable, but I'll live with that.

Never mind delete, who thought moving the '\ and |' key?  Swap it with
delete which is hardly ever used, but | sure is.  Eek.

And yeah I am a month late replying, apparently it is possible to neglegt
your email for a month.  Somehow.

> * 1080p IPS scree should be pretty nice
>
> * NVM.e slot
>
> At least I can definitely replace my acer chrome book 11, which works when I
> need a very light computer in a pinch to dump video from my camera or browse
> the web, but not much else.
>
> I'm hoping that the product would be successful enough that there's going to
> be a release of a version with 8GB of RAM -- that would put it on par with
> ultrabooks.
>
> Thought I don't think Pinebook Pro ever going to meet its $200 US target
> price.
>
> Thoughts?

Looks interesting.  If they fix the keyboard.  Otherwise no way.  I won't
buy something that will keep pissing me off when trying to use it.

--
Len Sorensen