[GTALUG] Ontario Bill 72: "Right to Repair"

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Tue Mar 5 17:48:53 EST 2019

On 03/05/2019 12:23 PM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 07:16:52PM -0500, Don Tai via talk wrote:
>> who repairs anything these days? I don't know anyone else, besides myself
>> that is curious enough to even open the case. Or use a multimeter. Or
>> sewing machine. Repair is a fringe, hippie thing now.
> Is that because no one wants to or because no one can anymore?

I have been a technician for much of my career.  That means I repair
things.  On a personal level, I repaired the circulation pump in my
heating system a few weeks ago.

Now, try replacing a battery on an iPhone and see how "easy" it is.  I
replaced the battery on my Nexus 5 phone, a couple of years ago.  While
I had no problem doing it, an average consumer wouldn't be able to.
There was also something about some Apple devices that will brick, if
repaired with unauthorized parts.  This is the sort of thing this bill
would stop.