[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jul 17 16:19:34 EDT 2019

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| There is too much talking on this list, and not enough action.

I'm not sure what "action" means on a mailing list.

|  Consider
| Lenovo T450 for $330:
|     <https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16834847377?Item=N82E16834847377>
| I bought one last year, better spec at lower price.  I think they made
| mistake when converting US$ to CAN$.

That is "b" stock, whatever that means.

There are currently 15 similar ones at Bauer for $275 plus shipping.
"minor marks on screen".  If I were interested, I'd phone them and ask
how bad they are.  (I have talked to them a couple of times.  Talking
to Newegg about technical things is pointless.)  Why would 15 units
have minor marks on the screen?

The Bauer conveniently labels each ThinkPad entry with the type model
code.  That spells out in detail what configuration was sold.  I've
had mixed results googling for that code.  I just found out that you
simply put it into the search at support.lenovo.com and then look at
"machine info"

These 15 units are 20BUS2DB02.

They have 1600x900 screens.  This is the same resolution as the Newegg
ones, according to Lennart (I don't see that in the Newegg listing).

Bauer ones have a 180GB SSD vs 320G HDD on the Newegg ones.
Bauer ones have intel wireless vs who knows on the Newegg ones.

Bauer has lots of other ThinkPad models too.