[GTALUG] laptop repair in GTA/Markham?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Jan 10 11:40:14 EST 2019

I have an asus of a similar design and the keys actually pop off.

They were a pain to get back together but you may be able to pry off the
power button and clean the contact.

This may be of  some general help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txx05fh41z4

On 1/10/19 11:17 AM, Tim Tisdall via talk wrote:
> So!  I managed to get the computer on and confirm that the issue
> appears to be the power button.  What I did was unplug the battery and
> the BIOS battery and then when I plugged in the power the default is
> for it to immediately turn on.  After I got it running I was able to
> confirm that the power button doesn't register a key press but EVERY
> OTHER BUTTON DOES WORK.  If any other key broke then at least I could
> use an external keyboard until I was able to get replacement parts.
>
> Thanks to everyone for suggestions!  I had assumed that the keyboard
> was fused to the casing as I couldn't find any screws (hopefully it's
> obvious how to remove it after removing the motherboard, etc).  The
> individual keys poke through the metal casing and requires removing
> the motherboard and everything else first to access.
>
> To reply to some emails...
>
> The drive is a Micron M600 and it says on it m.2 SATA.  I didn't even
> know that was a thing until opening the laptop.  The drive booted fine
> so I'm not going to bother buying an enclosure for it, but they have
> ones at Canada Computers for around $20.
>
> Hugh, I really appreciate the offer to help backup the drive!  Thank you!
>
> Lennart, thanks for linking to that keyboard replacement otherwise I
> probably would have continued to erroneously believe that the keyboard
> wasn't replaceable without replacing the casing!  A lot of laptops
> still allow keyboard replacement from the front through tabs, but some
> other ones (like mine) don't have that convenience.  It seems to be a
> design decision.
>
> Stewart, I'll be sure to do what you suggested if I ever spill on it
> again.  At the time I didn't have the screwdrivers so I wouldn't have
> been able to remove the battery, but at least I could have put it
> upside-down or on it's side to prevent gravity from seeping in any
> moisture.  I also bought a can of compressed air that I can use next
> time to help blow some of the liquid out.

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||