[GTALUG] laptop repair in GTA/Markham?

Tim Tisdall tisdall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 11:56:25 EST 2019

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 11:40, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I have an asus of a similar design and the keys actually pop off.
>
> They were a pain to get back together but you may be able to pry off the
> power button and clean the contact.
>
> This may be of  some general help.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txx05fh41z4

I actually did pop off the key yesterday and spent about an hour to
get it back on without breaking it.  I didn't see anything that needed
cleaning and the rubber "cup" that acts as a spring seemed to be glued
and not removable.  That video seemed to show a better way of getting
the key caps back on, though, so I'll definitely refer to it next time
a key cap pops off (I have one slightly broken key because I wasn't
careful enough in the past).  Thanks!

I've fixed a keyboard in the past where the wiring is basically a
traces on multiple plastic sheets.  A keypress in registered when the
traces on the two different sheets make contact through holes in
another sheet where the buttons are.  With the keyboard I fixed, I was
able to separate the sheets and fix the trace with some conducting
paint (you can buy it at an auto repair shop to replace the heating
lines on the back window of a car).  However, almost every newer
keyboard glues those sheets together and makes it impossible to clean
or fix those traces.  The one I have seems to have a metal backing and
melted plastic rivets holding it together.