[GTALUG] [OT] Phishing is no mirage...

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:36:03 EST 2019

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 2:18 PM Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net> wrote:

> On 12/18/19 12:32 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019, 11:16 AM Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/18/19 7:48 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:
>>

>> snip
>
> <snip>

> I would hope, for billing and service inquiries, they would have all the
> personal information I provided to them. I wouldn't give my SIN to a phone
> provider tho. I don't ever remember giving it out to get a landline or
> cable service and the agents I use now never have asked me for a SIN in
> order start services.
>
> Really??
> Telus runs a business providing practice management services to medical
> professionals including managing health data.
> Would you like your phone provider to have access to all your personal
> data?
> That could include your medical records?
>
> I can just hear the conversation:
>
> "Yes sir. To verify your identity could you tell us the results from your
> last prostate exam?"

Me being who I am, if an employee of a telecommunications provider asked me
that in order for me to buy into a service contract, I might just turn
around and drop my pants in the office and say check for yourself.

> You may not have have provided your SIN as part of a credit application 30
> years ago and in that case you are a much wiser person than I

Well I think I did provide my SIN to my Bank when I first applied for an
account and since I'm not one to abuse credit or take on excessive debt, I
get along without having to disclose much more than the minimum necessary

>>> The carrier should have an obligation of care with my information.
>>>
>> But the only obligation that the carrier has is to maximize the
>>> shareholder value.
>>>

>> Cybercare of personal information starts with the individual,
>> unfortunately it's all downhill from there.
>>
>> That is true and this was something like 30 years ago I was much more
>> naive then.
>>
>> The environment has changed in the intervening time.
>> When I was a child access to personal information was controlled by
>> physical access to paper and security was a matter of locks and keys.
>> The rules around information protection are woefully inadequate in
>> today's hyper connected environment.
>>

>> For example I later this morning will need to start looking at what of my
>> information LifeLabs has leaked.
>>

> As you say times have changed. I only recently found out, in the recent
> past, that they don't even issue replacement SIN cards anymore.
>
> That's an interesting tidbit.

Yea I lost my original card, had one replacement which was held together
with scotch tape for ten out of 30 years and it finally fell apart.

https://settlement.org/ontario/employment/social-insurance-number/your-social-insurance-number-sin/what-do-i-do-if-my-sin-is-lost-or-stolen/

--
> Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
> Netvel Inc.                   ||   Cell:  (416)806-0133alvin at netvel.net              ||
>
> --
Russell