[GTALUG] [OT] Phishing is no mirage...

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Dec 18 14:18:01 EST 2019

On 12/18/19 12:32 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019, 11:16 AM Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net
> <mailto:alvin at netvel.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/18/19 7:48 AM, Russell Reiter wrote:

snip

>     Here is a bit of a thought experiment.
>
>     Lets say I am interviewing to hire someone.
>     I ask the person for sexual favors to get the job.
>

> If you are a corporate employee that is grounds for sanction. You
> expose them to a lawsuit for sexual harassment. If you are a sole or
> small business proprietor, that's just plain creepy.
Sanction depends on those who control the corporation.
Look at the recent number of revelations about payouts to cover over
xEO's behaving badly.

>     If they say yes then they have accepted my offer andĀ  we have a
>     contract.
>

> This kind of agreement is not supported under contract law and the
> courts are enjoined to respect that fact and they cannot enforce it's
> terms.
It was a bit of an extreme example but how many contracts can be
enforced to the detriment of the less powerful party in the contract?

>     So its a lawful transaction and the person providing the favors
>     has little right to suffer buyers remorse following your logic.
>     As distasteful as the above example may be, it may still be legal.

snip

> A corporation has a fiscal responsibility to shareholders, they have
> fiduciary obligations to all the person's they contract with.
The fiduciary obligation is there to the extent of the contract and
little more.
The corporate executives areĀ  contracted to the corporation and have a
fiduciary responsibility to the corporations fiscal responsibility to
the shareholders.
Unless otherwise part of an employment contract the executives have no
responsibility of care to anybody the corporation deals with.
This is the kind of thing that results in products or processes that
kill customers and employees.

Its a nice deal.
The corporation may have responsibilities to the customers and others
but as an executive I have responsibility only to the corporation.
If I make a decision that causes harm I am virtually immune to any
responsibility.
snip

>     So if you believe that the first person you speak to on the phone
>     at Bell,Rogers et al does not have ALL your personal details on
>     the screen in front of them you are sadly mistaken.
>

> I would hope, for billing and service inquiries, they would have all
> the personal information I provided to them. I wouldn't give my SIN to
> a phone provider tho. I don't ever remember giving it out to get a
> landline or cable service and the agents I use now never have asked me
> for a SIN in order start services.

Really??
Telus runs a business providing practice management services to medical
professionals including managing health data.
Would you like your phone provider to have access to all your personal data?
That could include your medical records?

I can just hear the conversation:

"Yes sir. To verify your identity could you tell us the results from
your last prostate exam?"

You may not have have provided your SIN as part of a credit application
30 years ago and in that case you are a much wiser person than I.

>>         The carrier should have an obligation of care with my
>>         information.
>>
>>         But the only obligation that the carrier has is to maximize
>>         the shareholder value.
>>

>>     Cybercare of personal information starts with the individual,
>>     unfortunately it's all downhill from there.
>>
>     That is true and this was something like 30 years ago I was much
>     more naive then.
>
>     The environment has changed in the intervening time.
>     When I was a child access to personal information was controlled
>     by physical access to paper and security was a matter of locks and
>     keys.
>     The rules around information protection are woefully inadequate in
>     today's hyper connected environment.
>

>     For example I later this morning will need to start looking at
>     what of my information LifeLabs has leaked.
>

> As you say times have changed. I only recently found out, in the
> recent past, that they don't even issue replacement SIN cards anymore.

That's an interesting tidbit.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||