[GTALUG] Cloud Based versus Openness

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 17:34:09 EST 2019

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 14:39, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:24 PM Christopher Browne via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >
> > "Local-first software: you own your data, in spite of the cloud"
> >
> > Here's an interesting rabbit-hole for those that are interested in data
> archival.
> > https://blog.acolyer.org/2019/11/20/local-first-software/
> >
> Thank you for a most interesting connection.
>
> hopefully not inappropriate but perhaps I'm allowed a question - - -
> hopefully for
> debate and/or instruction (I am not a dev).
>
> A distance into the blog post there is a metric on local first
> 'software' - - - the
> development tools assessment is quite - - - negative - - - are there
> perhaps
> a combination of tools that might be even better than this 'Couch DB'
> for developing
> something like web tools?

CouchDB is an interesting choice in that:
a) It's pretty "web compliant" in how it works
   That is, its various commands fit in pretty exactly with HTTP commands,
so it's going to be easier to arrive at an easy fit wrapping it into web
operations than most other options
b) It includes within it a multi-master replicating system so that it copes
fairly well out of the box with the potential for somewhat conflict-y
updates to the data.

On the face of it, that makes it a promising first idea to do what they
were trying to do.  Other options aren't likely to be easier to reason
about.

Doing better won't be particularly trivial.  But there's certainly
potential to use other tools; people will easily be fans of their favoured
tools.