[GTALUG] Linux Kernel Allows 0.0.0.0/8 as a Valid Address Range

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 13:33:27 EDT 2019

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 12:26 PM James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2019-08-14 12:20 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:
> > As a final thought, often the needs of the developing world are
> > overlooked by our more developed societies. It could hardly be fair to
> > to those comnunities, which have gone to the trouble and expense of
> > joining the connected world to say to them now, all that equipment we
> > juat sold you a few years ago is obsolete now, you will have to
> > upgrade or lose service.
>
> Actually, in some ways the developing world is ahead of the game here.
> They didn't have the built up IPv4 infrastructure that we have.  The
> same thing happened with cell phones.  There are many parts of the world
> where people who had never seen a wired phone, suddenly had cell service.

No question that the UN-wiring of the world has expanded individual social
and economic potential, by increaseing access to knowledge and
communications.

I remember one of the earliest electrical conservation motivators in Canada
was by the government giving an implied recycling credit to new purchasers
of energy star appliances. I believe you got a tax credit on a purchase and
the social credit for recycling. The manufactures were donating old energy
inefficient appliances to developing nations. In hindsight it appears that
the overall environmental costs would have been less, if the old devices
were just scrapped and energy star appliances donated instead.

I imagine the energy map of the day might bear striking similarity to this
map of adoption of ipv6 by country.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Russia and China and perhaps others are creating segregated networks for
trusted endpoint to endpoint connections. However, I think that NAT and
other hacks will be around for a while yet.