[GTALUG] Linux Kernel Allows 0.0.0.0/8 as a Valid Address Range

Val Kulkov val.kulkov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:13:02 EDT 2019

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 13:33, Russell Reiter via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I imagine the energy map of the day might bear striking similarity to this map of adoption of ipv6 by country.
>
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html
>
> It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

While seemingly promoting adoption of IPv6 Google refuses to implement
DHCPv6 in Android OS. See this article:
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/androids-lack-of-dhcpv6-support-frustrates-enterprise-network-admins/

In my own experience configuring Wi-Fi networks, Android devices
refuse pick up a stateful IPv6 address. This causes a delay during the
initial connection to the network, during which a message "No
Internet" appears for a few seconds. After that, the Internet
connection works but over IPv4 only. So much for the adoption of IPv6,
Google!