[GTALUG] Linux Kernel Allows 0.0.0.0/8 as a Valid Address Range

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Aug 14 13:13:28 EDT 2019

| From: James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 2019-08-14 12:20 PM, Russell Reiter wrote:

| >  all that equipment we
| > juat sold you a few years ago is obsolete now, you will have to
| > upgrade or lose service.
|
| Actually, in some ways the developing world is ahead of the game here.
| They didn't have the built up IPv4 infrastructure that we have.  The
| same thing happened with cell phones.  There are many parts of the world
| where people who had never seen a wired phone, suddenly had cell service.

As far as I know, pretty much all hardware made in the last 20 years
ought to be able to do IPv6.  Slightly more recently, pretty much all
software ought to handle IPv5.

I think that what doesn't support IPv6 is many people and deployments.
I'm an example.

The ISP that routes my /24 doesn't support IPv6.  Not sure why.  They
must think that none of their clients need or want it.

I could use IPv6 because I have a second ISP (Rogers) that does
support IPv6.  But it seems easier to leave things as they are.  So
I'm a typical cause of the problem.

This would change in a flash if some site I cared about was IPv6-only.
Say Google or Red Hat.