[GTALUG] Fedora 27 packagekit reboot and install glitch

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:48:31 EDT 2018

After installing some recent F27 updates using the gnome software centre, the package kit watchdog has stopped exiting gracefully on an install routine. This happened after I chose to enable the recommended updates.

The watch job wouldn't quit watching and I'd have to forcefully reboot, as the system would hang for a very long time. This is one of the few times I have given a linux a nominal three finger salute. Seven ctl-alt-del combos in two seconds stopped the job and shutdown eventually happened about two minutes later.

My temporary solution is to mask the packagekit application service and only use dnf. Dragora's gui is also easy, however, the desktop integration is not as slick. I do like the native gnome software centre interface and the way the monitoring and notification app is tied into the calander. It is very central and easy to deal with.  However for the time being;

#systemctl mask packagekit.service

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/packagekit.service → /dev/null.

I had been looking for a way to stop only the notification that F28 is now available as an upgrade. I'd get that notice once every day, but apparently if the watchdog is running, you get all notices and I have yet to discover a way to blacklist an individual notice, so I masked the entire service.

I guess this is part of the bumps and bruises of switching over to systemd.

I am trying out F28 on my M.2 Xpoint ram stick and I'm pretty pleased so far. The only issue which keeps me with F27 as main, is on par with every distro update I have ever done. ie. the sane backend and its D-bus internal references.

On F28 my brother MFC-L2710DW cannot connect to the brscan. Following the sane systemd recomendations I've gotten to the socket via telnet, but I just can't glue the endpoints together. Hopefully Brother will repackage the driver as systemd takes over Fedora init entirely.

--
Russell